The company was originally formed in 1959 as Casolith London Ltd. Casolith London also acted as an importer for continuous Cast Acrylic which is where our production of number plate components first started. It was the characteristics and quality of this product which enabled us to machine this material into the application for Vehicle Registration Plates for the first time against the traditional embossed aluminum product.
Parent company changes led to the management buyout of Casolith London Ltd followed by a name change in 1982 to Silwood Plastics Ltd. The new name came from our address at the time Silwood Street in South London
After a decade of growth we moved into our first London warehouse of 6,000 square foot. By 1991 we had outgrown this site and moved onto a 29,000 square foot site also in South London. As well as producing number plate components we were well known for being an importer and distributor of sheet plastics offering cut to size with extensive beam saw facilities.
We were experiencing legislation changes and growing demand for our production of components for Vehicle Registration Plates. We invested heavily in designing and building bespoke automated production machinery enabling us to expand further based on our product quality and new capacity.
1998 and with two full decades of growth behind the company the bold decision was made to relocate the business from London to a brand new 11,500 square foot site in Brackley Northamptonshire. Brackley was chosen as a logistic Centre for this sector’s customer base and was also the Group Administration Centre.
In the year 2000 we saw further expansion. The operational base of Silwood Number Plate Components Ltd opened another two units. Silwood also developed a Special Grade of Impact Modified Acrylic in conjunction with its raw material suppliers to meet the UK performance requirements to Bsau145d and this continues to be a leading product for the UK number plate market.